As a supporter of the UK’s maritime industries, and forward of the scheduled Spending Overview, I’m writing to help Maritime UK’s Spending Overview bid, and to induce you to incorporate this in your upcoming plans.
Maritime UK’s bid is centered on plans to duplicate the success of the UK’s automotive trade in driving its decarbonisation journey. It due to this fact proposes to duplicate within the maritime sector the Workplace for Zero Emission Autos and demonstration competitions, by way of a authorities and trade partnership value £1 billion to speed up the UK’s maritime decarbonisation programme and sort out local weather change. The bid will:
- Instantly create 15,200 jobs and an extra 58,400 jobs all through the provision chain (73,600 complete), in line with the Centre for Economics and Enterprise Analysis.
- Create jobs in all 4 nations of the UK, significantly in coastal communities with a practice of maritime financial exercise, together with shipbuilding.
- Relaunch our marine industries by inserting the UK on the forefront of the UK design and growth of zero emission vessels.
- Set the UK on a course to fulfill its authorized net-zero maritime obligations.
- Place the UK because the world-leader in maritime decarbonisation and assist remodel the UK right into a scientific superpower, by profiting from the fast-growing marketplace for clear maritime applied sciences and fuels.
The bid is designed to construct upon the Clear Maritime Demonstration Competitors, which demonstrated the aptitude and urge for food of UK trade to take a position, to speed up the sector’s decarbonisation. The competitors was oversubscribed, receiving bids for 225% of the obtainable finances for an preliminary complete proposed funding of £70 million. We now have to scale this up so as to drive financial growth in coastal communities. Funding in infrastructure will strengthen native financial restoration, constructing again greener.
Since final yr’s Spending Overview, different international locations have moved additional forward within the zero-emission maritime race. The UK has the abilities and manufacturing potential to turn into a worldwide chief, however we have to act quick to safe most jobs and financial progress potential.
I urge you to help Maritime UK’s Spending Overview bid, and I look ahead to listening to from you.
Paul Wickes MBE
Director of the Maritime Industries of the UK
Chair Maritime UK Regional Cluster Council
CEO Cornwall Marine Community